Welcome!

Being an architecture student is tough. Living in Nebraska is tougher. Originally from the fancy suburbs of Chicago, I decided to expand my education in Nebraska. I know Nebraska, or for that matter, Lincoln, is not Chicago, but I've been able to get a different viewpoint out here. Anyways, here is a blog dedicated to whatever I feel I want to talk about, from movies to architecture. Enjoy.
-Nick

Monday, December 27, 2010

An Unfortunate Event

Actual picture I took off someone's luggage they checked.
Maybe there was a reason United Airlines filed for bankruptcy...

Alright, so here's the deal: I have a problem with United Airlines.  I normally don't fly United, since I prefer Southwest Airlines, mainly because they are cheaper and 100% more reliable.  I was headed home for my Christmas break to see the family.  Leaving Eppley Airfield in Omaha, Nebraska, heading to O'Hare Airport in Chicago, Illinois.  I had a 1:46 pm. departure.  I boarded the aircraft along with the other 100 people coming along for the ride.  We start to taxi out towards the runway.  Then, stillness.

http://www.businesstravellogue.com/files/2008/11/united-airlines-cartoon.jpg
Pilot comes over the intercom saying electrical failure, blah blah blah, heading back to the gate.  30 mins later, we are updated to get off the plane.  Thinking and fearing the worst, I head with everyone else to get in line to book another flight.  2 HOURS LATER. I am next in line to go.  Update over the speakers saying flight is officially canceled, so head downstairs to re-book for the next morning.  I ask for help since I am next in line.  I AM TOLD TO GO GET IN LINE AGAIN BECAUSE THEY CAN HELP ME SINCE THEY NEED TO BOOK FOR THE NEXT FLIGHT AFTER OURS. THERE ISN'T ANYONE THERE.  I head downstairs and get in another line.  I am about 15th in line.  There is only 2 people working the counter.  2 HOURS LATER, my turn arrives again.  I ask to be placed on another flight leaving within the hour.  "No, we can't do that."  "Why not?"  "We just can't."  Nice excuse United Airline worker.  So now I have to make a 6 a.m. flight the following day.  I have to call my girlfriend to come pick me up, which I feel terrible about since I am not supposed to even be in the state.  The next morning, everything runs perfect, except for the fact that I overheard a flight attendant say this is the same plane as yesterday, but it's fixed.  Oh lucky us, we got to find out if that was true.  I also heard a story about a family on the flight who bailed to drive to Denver to catch a non-stop flight to Florida, probably for Disney World.  Denver is about 10 hours away.  That family decided they'd rather drive 10 hours than to put up with United for another minute.  Good for them.

The thing is, I fly Southwest 9/10 a year.  I try United once or twice a year.  I ALWAYS have a problem.  Sure, Southwest has it's fair share of problems, like combating the elements, not crappy aircraft.  They may not have fancy TV monitors that fold down from the ceiling, but they know a thing or two about customer satisfaction.  And the flight attendants are hilarious and joke around all the time.  It's simply delightful!

Some further reading:  http://travel.usnews.com/features/Americas_Meanest_Airlines/
                                  http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ual.htm
                                  http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/business/berko/2321513-420/airline-united-continental-ual-employees.html
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment