Welcome!

Being an architecture student is tough. Living in Nebraska is tougher. Originally from the fancy suburbs of Chicago, I decided to expand my education in Nebraska. I know Nebraska, or for that matter, Lincoln, is not Chicago, but I've been able to get a different viewpoint out here. Anyways, here is a blog dedicated to whatever I feel I want to talk about, from movies to architecture. Enjoy.
-Nick

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Analysis of an Intersection

For the uninitiated, click the following link: How Intersections Work


Earlier today I was driving out of my parking lot of my apartment.  I am represented by the black arrow on the diagram above.  I was actually going to turn out of the complex at the intersection.  Well, it seems the United States Postal Service had other plans for me.  They are represented by the red line.  The mail truck decided not to stop at the intersection, with the dotted line showing his continuing course of action.  Being the observant and cautious driver that I am, I usually go slow around this intersection, since people in my apartment complex just like to whip around the corner instead of stopping like they should.  Especially people in trucks, who are already at risk for flipping over, but decide they'd rather look "cool" drifting around the corner.  More like dumb, but I digress.

So I see Mr. Mail Man coming right through the intersection, where I slam on the brakes.  I start skidding since it's snowy here, and he does as well.  My brakes were better so he skids on by, almost to the curb.  Idiot.  He then reverses, while I throw my hands up, yelling "What the f*ck are you doing?" Not that he could hear me.  Then, he gives me the "ok" to make my turn out of the complex.  But here's the kicker: as I'm making my turn, he decides to pantomime "how to honk your horn".  I stared in disbelief.  How he thought me honking my horn would stop him from plowing through the intersection and skidding past the front end of my car is beyond my comprehension.  I can't fathom what he was thinking when he gave me the hand motion for "honk". Really? Honk my horn?  Will the sound waves from the horn deflect his car away from mine? Give it a little push?  Idiot. I knew the postal service delivered mail in a timely fashion, but I didn't know they'd take my life in a fiery crash just so my super loud neighbor could get her US Weekly.  I'm tired of dealing with the drivers of Lincoln, NE.

No comments:

Post a Comment