Welcome!

Being an architecture student is tough. Living in Nebraska is tougher. Originally from the fancy suburbs of Chicago, I decided to expand my education in Nebraska. I know Nebraska, or for that matter, Lincoln, is not Chicago, but I've been able to get a different viewpoint out here. Anyways, here is a blog dedicated to whatever I feel I want to talk about, from movies to architecture. Enjoy.
-Nick

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Year in Review: My Top Ten Movie Posters of 2010

Alright sorry it's been a awhile since I've updated.  I'm getting situated back into school mode so I've been dealing with that.  Anyways, here are my favorite movie posters of 2010.

#1 Black Swan poster set


It was hard to just pick one, since they all are similarly designed.  I love the vintage feel from these posters, and they give off a great vibe as to how psychologically emotional the movie is.  You have to do a double take every time you look at one because you start to see pictures in the negative spaces of the posters.

#2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One


The teaser for the new Harry Potter film perfectly showcased where the films were headed.  The haunting picture of Hogwarts burning on the hillside demonstrates how dark and hopeless the characters feel in the films.  It gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it.  It certainly grabs your attention.

#3 The Social Network


Using a simple picture of Jesse Eisenberg slapped with probably the year's greatest tagline, and you get an eye-catching poster that sums up the film to a T.  Also, the banner on the right side gives the feeling of being logged onto Facebook, which I'm sure grabbed someone's eye as they strolled through the theater.

#4 Buried


Simplicity seems to be a theme in 2010 for movie posters, and this one takes the cake.  It is very bold in showing only Ryan Reynolds, in a box, and that's only on the bottom part of the poster.  The rest is black.  It does a great job showing the claustrophobic nature of the film.

#5 Knight & Day


Despite middling reviews from critics, Knight & Day had a nice little poster to help market the movie.  The designer took a bold step in silhouetting the big stars of the film, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz.  I also like the splatter effect behind them, giving off a messy vibe, like Cruise's crazy character in the film.


#6 Happy Thank You More Please


This colorful poster shows no characters, but simply the title of the movie.  On pieces of wood, I think.  It is definitely something different, and I like their cubic approach to the creation of the poster.  Reminds me of typing on a calculator, with all the letters squared off.

#7 Scott Pilgrim vs. the World


A great jam pic of Michael Cera rocking out on bass guitar, with the "S" flowing out like music.  The bright red splash background is appealing and the tagline is another great one, which is a nice play on words.  Definitely caught my eye in the theater, and gave me a good vibe while looking at it.

#8 I'm Still Here


Sure, we can sit here all day and mock Joaquin Phoenix and his miserable attempt at becoming a rapper, despite retiring from acting during the peak of his career.  This is his return to acting, so to speak, and this simple look of "I've just woken up from drinking all night" really gets one wondering what he has been up to and where he has been the last couple years.

#9 Toy Story 3


Bright and full of life, the Toy Story 3 poster looks like an invitation to a huge celebration party, where toy was invited.  It just screams "let's all have a good time watching this movie".  Leave no toy behind!

#10 Inception


This M.C. Escher inspired poster for Inception is a great way to tell the audience about it's dream stealing plot and impossible architecture shortcuts.  It might be one of the busiest posters on the list, but it does not suffer from it. With a clean view of each character standing on their own plane, it is very interesting to look at and figure out what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment